Landlords and Property Managers, are your tenants safe in your rentals? 29 out of 50 states in the US require carbon monoxide detectors in residential living and with good reason. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It is a very toxic gas, but why do they call it a silent killer? It is because carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless and nonirritating. You wouldn’t even notice if your house or rental is filling up with this dangerous gas!
If you live in a home or rental that uses propane, natural gas for heating, hot water heaters and some cooking appliances, you are at a high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Before you move in a home or rental and before you put a rental on the market it is important to properly install if it was not previously installed and if it was already installed that it was properly maintained. They should be installed in each hallway outside of the bedrooms, living rooms and at least one in every story is best.
Maintenance and inspections for carbon monoxide poisoning is crucial. If you have a fireplace and/or a chimney they should be inspected annually and maintained. If there is a power outage in the winter, please remind and give notice to your tenants to never heat your home and/or rental using the oven or barbeque. Do not leave gas operated equipment or automobiles running in an enclosed garage and/or other areas. The Installation of Carbon monoxide detectors should be use as a failsafe and precautions need to be taken.
Open doors and windows and/or step outside if you are feeling any of these symptoms: dizziness, confusion, weakness, headache or fatigue, it is important to immediately get fresh air. If you are still experiencing these symptoms go to the emergency room and tell the physician of suspected Carbon monoxide poisoning Do not flip any light switches, open the garage door, or anything that can create a spark if you think you have a gas leak. Let’s keep everyone safe